For the Planet try Vegetarianism: this is really yummy!
A time has come now when producing meat is seriously damaging the earth’s vital resources. Whether you care about animal cruelty or not – and eating them does cause them horrible pain and fear – the truth is that meat eating is draining the world of its limited supply of fertile land and water.
Says Michael Norton in his book 365 Ways to Change the World:
- 20 vegetarians can live off the same amount of land that one meat eater would require!
- If Americans reduce their meat consumption by 10 per cent, it would free 12 million tonnes of grain – enough to feed 60 million people (the population of the UK).
- An average hectare field will yield 187 kg. of beef or 22,680 kg of potatoes.
- 250 litres of water are needed to produce one kilo of wheat, and 25,000 litres to produce one kg. of meat.
- The water used to produce 5 kg. of steak is equivalent to the average consumption of water for an entire household for an entire year.
- Cows breaking wind and belching are estimated account for 35 per cent of Ireland’s greenhouse gas emissions, thereby being a major cause for global warming.
Commit to eating a vegetables only dinner once a week. Have fun trying out hundreds of exciting vegetarian recipes with friends and family. Try out wonderful meat substitutes available with PETA, Living Without Cruelty and many other websites like: www.vegweb.com, www.vegkitchen.com and http://www.vrg.org