Sunday’s flowers have glum news about car travel!
- Half of all car journeys made are less than 2.5 km. (2 miles)
- 60 per cent of all car journeys have only one person in the car.
- Nearly 70 per cent of all flights within European airspace are less than 1000km (620 miles).
- An aeroplane creates three times more CO2 and pollution than a train on distances less than 500 km (300 miles).
- Globrally, aircraft generate more than 700 million tonnes of CO2 per year.
- A passenger taking a long-haul return flight from the UK to the US produces as much CO2 as a motorist does driving in the UK for a year!
We can do a little bit to reduce travelling by car, aeroplanes etc. Try walking or cycling: a brisk 20 minute walk and regular cycling will do wonders for us and help the planet!
From: A Slice of Organic Life Editor-in-chief Sheherazade Goldsmith