Want to be a Green Cook like me?
- Energy gets wasted without our knowledge in the kitchen. If you have only a tiny dish of dinner or lunch to cook, then the microwave will be the green choice. Or use a small vessel on a small hob.
- The small hob will use less energy than the oven.
- Did you know that frying is better than grilling? The grill gobbles up too much energy, most of it wasted out into the room. Fry in a good pan with a small amount of oil.
- Using the toaster is even better than using the grill!
- Boiling or steaming are just as quick or even quicker than the microwave to cook vegetables from scratch for anything more than one person. Recently I have begun to use my cooker much more than the microwave as it is healthier as well.
- Steaming is a very good option for vegetables, fish and chicken too.
- In summer change your menu to more cold no-cook meals to save energy. Try out all kinds of salads, cold soups, juices etc.
- Always boil up only the amount of water you really need – a minimal amount for vegetable cooking, and just enough for that mug of tea. You can save a lot on your electricity bills!