Hanging basket water saving tips
- Water with grey water – from cooking (eg. Boiled eggs, water from washing vegetables, especially spinach and other greens which need a lot of water to wash them). Wash the greens by keeping a large pot beneath, so the washing water collects inside.
- Use water from water butts.
- Water in the early morning and again in the evening when less water will evaporate.
- Put other pots underneath to be watered by the overflow.
- Place ice cubes over the top of the compost. They will melt and slowly water the basket. This ensures that the water does not all just drain away, but is slowly absorbed by the soil.
From: Top Tips A Treasury of Garden Wisdom. Louise Hampden