3000 litres of water go into producing a kilo of sugar!
Here are some horrifying facts about how we are killing the Planet!
- Three thousand litres go into producing a kilo of sugar!
- 5000 litres are needed to get an equivalent weight of rice or cheese to the table and an astonishing 20,000 litres go into the same amount of coffee!
- A kilo of best Australian beefsteak costs 50-100,000 litres.
- Every day you may indirectly be gulping down a hundred or more times your own weight in water.
- from: Seven Years to Save the Planet by Bill McGuire.
In all the poor countries of the world, women in slums and even women in the lower strata of living spend more than three or four hours near water taps, waiting to get their measly share of water. Sometimes they just wait and the water never comes!
We can all start to help by saving water through water harvesting!