Treat yourself to healthier sugars!
- To keep our sweet tooth in proportion we should do it gradually. From using three teaspoons of sugar for a cup of tea or coffee, or any juices, we can gradually bring it down to two teaspoons and then one! It is easy to do once you begin. I used to take five teaspoons of sugar for my tea and am now down to two teaspoons! I don’t even feel the difference!
- Get to know the world’s best natural sweetener: Stevia! This is a natural sugar substitute that is up to 400 times sweeter than sugar! You need to use only a tiny amount and it is calorie free!
- A recent Action on Sugar survey reported 4 tsp sugar in a portion of tinned tomato soup and nearly half tsp in one slice of wholewheat bread. Check your product labels – as a guide, 10g sugar per 100g is high, 2g sugar per 100g is low!
- Remember that sugar is slyly listed as sucrose, glucose, fructose, dextrose, lactose, maltose and corn syrup! If any of these appear as one of the top three ingredients, that means you are getting a lot of sugar!
- Halve the amount of sugar in sweet recipes and add vanilla or honey for a flavor!
- Or you can make this mint syrup to spoon over fresh fruit or ice cream or use it as the basis for a tasty summer drink. Half cup mint leaves, half cup water, one cup sugar. Combine in saucepan and bring to a boil Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened (about 5 minutes). Strain, if desired. Makes about two third cup.(Reader’s Digest) Magic and Medicine of Plants.
- Did you know that one tbsp. ketchup contains one tsp sugar? Go for low sugar condiments.
- Have fresh fruit instead of juice.
- Choose dark chocolate over milk/white chocolate. It contains a relatively small amount of sugar compared to milk/white chocolate, but provide useful antioxidants.
pics and text: daksha